Skip to main content

Family

First, for all of those that left feedback on my political post---thank you. Thank you for having an opinion and thank you for sharing. I love politics and am so excited to see how this crazy election is going to unfold. Honestly, neither candidate is perfect (I think we can all agree on that!) What we need to do is examine what matters most to us individually and then vote the candidate that best represents it.

Eliza and I went to Utah for the celebration of my grandfather's 90th birthday. It was a simple celebration held at their church house with my parents, siblings, all of my 33 cousins and 12 aunts and uncles


I can't even begin to describe what a wonderful family I have, it is one of my greatest blessings. My grandparents and parents are such fine examples to me of how to be a parents. Out of the 40 or so marriages in that family, there has not been one split. I told my dad that I wanted the recipe for success and he said it is simple, it's all about time...(he he, just like the Mormon ad "family, it's about time...)

He told me that his parents loved to spend time with the family and were always there for him. It struck an emotional chord with me as I recalled my own childhood. My parents were always there for me too. They were physically at every harp lesson, concert, recital, debate tournament etc. etc. and emotionally there for the bad days at school, boyfriend breakups....they were always there. The fact that they cared so much created this bond of trust between us. I had the desire to be close to them and didn't need to rely on friends for security or self esteem. What a treat for a young mother like me to be able to recall this at this point in my life. I am busy-probably too busy and need to constantly remind myself that the greatest gift that I can give to my kids is my emotional and physical time. It is such a small sacrifice, in fact, a great leader just said that the those young challenging years when your kids need you the most is really only 10% of your life. I can give 10%-the "busy" stuff can wait. Thanks mom and dad.

Comments

The Dillon 6 said…
it's no wonder you're such a great example ~ you're following in great footseps. :)
Liza said…
Bianca-

I made it to your blog!!! You are an awesome writer! It was so fun to read...I have been on here for a 1/2 hour! I promise to start my blog this month....ok...next! It was so fun to see you and you're right...this is a GREAT way to keep in touch. I haven't been converted until I read your blog...I'm born-again!

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day

One of the things I really wanted for Mother's Day this year was a picture of me with my children.OK, I really should have thought of something less stressful: "Come here Tucker" "There's a piece of candy on the chair" "Say, Thomas the train I love you" "Please come back..." "No more pictures for me" Thanks to Dave for his patience, we did get some decent shots. I must write for the record how grateful I am to be a mother. There is nothing on earth I would rather be doing right now. I honestly love them so much. Thank you NB, I just had to steal this from your blog: Somebody said it takes about six weeks to get back to normal after you’ve had a baby. That Somebody doesn’t know that once you’re a mother, “Normal,” is history. Somebody said you learn how to be a mother by instinct That Somebody never took a three-year-old shopping. Somebody said you don’t need an education to be a mother. That Somebody never helped a fourth

Child Rearing Race

My visiting brother from Utah and I were left without spouses for 4 days. This wouldn't have been such a big deal, but our kids had already been together 24/7 for 6 days and our boys couldn't think of anything better to do than fight. I don't know about you, but 1 entire day of fighting is enough to drive one mad--now times that by 4. Near the end of the week(and our rope) my brother and I had a heart to heart and posed the question~what in life could be more mentally difficult than this? The only thing I could think of (now remember, we'd just run the Ragnar) was running a marathon. Someone once told me that if you could mentally get through a marathon, you could get through anything. So, I put it to the test...I ran a... OK , not a marathon, but a 1/2. Raising children and running difficult races are so much the same. They both require so much of you emotionally, physically and mentally and yet the end reward is so gratifying. I can't express the joy I felt yester

Let's just call this paybacks

Dave got the heads up this morning that we were going to have a couple of "special" talks on reverence today as the Stake Presidency was a little concerned about how loud our sacrament meetings have become. I thought ~ great, let's prep the kids ~ I told them that they were to be on their best behavior, no snacks, no toys, no talking, you get the idea... The meeting went pretty smooth until the Bishop got up. He very tenderly started talking about how important it is that we teach our children about the sacrament...it was at that moment that my family fell a part. Eden and Luke started fighting and Liza and Tucker started screaming---did I mention we were on the second row? I grabbed Luke and put him in a body hold and motioned for Dave to get Tuck and Liza out. Dave left with Liza and Tuck (so I thought...) and next thing you know, Tucker is up on the stand running back and forth behind the Bishop. My sweet friend sitting next to me jumped up to get Tuck, but he of cours