Skip to main content

Ragnar Wrap Up


How do you sum up the events of one of the most life changing experiences in one little post? Yes, I am talking about the Ragnar Relay. We did it and boy was it ever amazing ~12 people, 189miles in 29 hours and 32 minutes! I've been asked several times, "what was so incredible about it anyway?" and I am at a serious loss for words. It is one of those things that you just have to experience to understand. Like I posted earlier,this is a race that connects you with what is best in yourself. For 30 hours we were saturated with shattering our own limits and watching others do the same.
What was the highlight? There were too many!

Watching my younger brother bust out an 8.5 mile run (1/2 uphill) with only 2 weeks of training and still come into the gate with a smile across his face.


Or, Becky conquer something that she never thought possible! The girl was originally assigned one of the easier runs(if you consider 12 miles easy!!)however as training time progressed and team mates dropped out, she had to take on one of the more difficult runs of the race. Don't put anything past Becky, she loves a challenge and boy did she ever perform as she pushed her way up 3 or more miles of monster hills.

Then there is Jolynn~does the girl ever stop smiling? Being the last runner of our set, she mentally had the toughest and longest battle and yet smiled through the entire run. I love JoLynn's divide and conquer attitude. She believes she can accomplish anything she sets her mind to, and she does!


Dave was a volunteer last year and was so inspired by the runners that he decided to start running himself. He injured himself about 2 months ago and try and he might to heal, that leg was still aching when he started that first run. However, anyone that knows Dave, knows that he would never let a little bit of pain get in the way of accomplishing his goals. I couldn't help but sob when he finished the last 4 miles of his 12. I think the people at the line thought I was a little off my rocker!



Props to my father who amidst his incredibly busy life and work schedule put this team together and ran the race with very little training. His fine example of give it all you got spoke loud as he pushed his way through.


As for myself, the highlight was my run at 3:30 in the morning accompanied by only the stars and the moon and my ipod. Who knew running a 7.8 mile leg in the middle of the night would be so emotional and spiritual. I am now suffering from a serious emotional let down and can't wait to start preparing for next year!

Comments

JamieBean said…
WAY TO GO DAVE AND BIANCA!!! What a great experience-I got tears in my eyes just reading this! What an awesome feeling that must have been to be a part of something so challenging yet rewarding, so life-changing! It sounds like you learned a great lesson about yourselves too! Thank you for sharing your experience...it makes me want to go and run and I am NOT a runner! I love you guys! Congratulations!
Love,
Bean
amy germer said…
Whoo Hoo! That is awesome, I love getting in the zone, running and being alone with your thoughts. However I have never ran more than 5 miles at a time. Very impressive!
The Dillon 6 said…
awesome...simply awesome.
Congratulations Bianca. This is (Elder) David Bishop from your MTC district. It's a long story, but some events have transpired this week (mainly me not having much to do at the office and then stumbling on a picture of Gabe Ohms) that have caused me to seek out the others in our district. Thanks to the new Mormon crack, i.e., blogging (which seems to have displaced the old Mormon crack of scrapbooking), I found you and your beautiful family. I'd love to catch up if you ever have a free minute. davidbishop21@hotmail.com or dbishop@mofo.com

Later!
David
Terra said…
Unbelievable! You are awesome and that post was so inspiring. It almost, key word - almost, makes me want to start training! I can just picture you running under the stars listening to your ipod. Congratulations! What a major accomplishment!
Maquel said…
Sounds like a lot of fun, the kind of fun only wackos know how to enjoy.

One note, your playlist seems busted. I could hardly read your post because the most horrible sounds were coming from my computer. My dog went running, the TV stopped working, my neighbors called 911. It would be impossible to describe the noise - but I've heard it before when I I accidentally hit a country station. I'm still reeling.

Clark

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day

One of the things I really wanted for Mother's Day this year was a picture of me with my children.OK, I really should have thought of something less stressful: "Come here Tucker" "There's a piece of candy on the chair" "Say, Thomas the train I love you" "Please come back..." "No more pictures for me" Thanks to Dave for his patience, we did get some decent shots. I must write for the record how grateful I am to be a mother. There is nothing on earth I would rather be doing right now. I honestly love them so much. Thank you NB, I just had to steal this from your blog: Somebody said it takes about six weeks to get back to normal after you’ve had a baby. That Somebody doesn’t know that once you’re a mother, “Normal,” is history. Somebody said you learn how to be a mother by instinct That Somebody never took a three-year-old shopping. Somebody said you don’t need an education to be a mother. That Somebody never helped a fourth

Child Rearing Race

My visiting brother from Utah and I were left without spouses for 4 days. This wouldn't have been such a big deal, but our kids had already been together 24/7 for 6 days and our boys couldn't think of anything better to do than fight. I don't know about you, but 1 entire day of fighting is enough to drive one mad--now times that by 4. Near the end of the week(and our rope) my brother and I had a heart to heart and posed the question~what in life could be more mentally difficult than this? The only thing I could think of (now remember, we'd just run the Ragnar) was running a marathon. Someone once told me that if you could mentally get through a marathon, you could get through anything. So, I put it to the test...I ran a... OK , not a marathon, but a 1/2. Raising children and running difficult races are so much the same. They both require so much of you emotionally, physically and mentally and yet the end reward is so gratifying. I can't express the joy I felt yester

Welcome To Alpine

Home We packed everything we own into this garage, and then shut the door on it for one week. I wish I had a better shot of all the furniture stacked on top of each other.  What do I love the most about being in Utah? THE SUN. We have been outside non stop. 7 Peaks water park, bike rides, running, hiking, swimming. We can't get enough - it is wonderful! This is the view from the parking lot of our church. It doesn't do this cute little town justice. We are tucked into the far northeast corner of Utah county. Even though I grew up with these mountains, I am still in awe of their beauty.  There are still boxes lingering, but here are a few pics to get you started. Family Room Entry way Eden's room Kitchen Living Room (music area) Who knows what led us to this area, but I am in love. This little town is just about the cutest thing ever. We live about one block from City Hall and every day, during day light hours t