Skip to main content

Withdrawl...

I just spent the last 4 days in Chicago and had the BEST time. I love my family dearly, but hello--I haven't been away by myself in 4 years. This is my third time in the city but first as an adult. It is such a beautiful city with so much history.


The highlight of the trip was "Wicked"---it is a MUST see. The downer of the trip was "Oprah". I am going to boycott her FOR LIFE. You have no idea how hard it is to get into that show. We had eight people on the lines the day the ticket counter opened and tried for 3 DAYS to get through. When that failed, we sent 8 emails into last minute registration. When that failed we woke up at 5:00 am after only two hours of sleep to go and wait in an eternal line just to hear "they never take walk-ups" and to please call in or email. HELLO, we did all of the above plus some. They told us they liked our "moxie" and to come back for the second taping. So, we go back and wait for another hour or so in line with hundreds of ladies that look like they were plucked off of Aurora Ave (if you know what I mean). Why did they look like that? Because the show was featuring the cast from the Sex in the City movie--with every cast member!! Can you believe it? I don't care much for the show, but hey--a chance to see SJP and Chris North (from my beloved Law and Order*&$!)Needless to say we didn't get in. We got close but no luck. It left a really bad taste in my mouth..no more Oprah for me.

Regardless, it was a nice break.The word "break" has such a different meaning for me now than it did 10 years ago.


A break is:


getting ready in the morning without someone hanging on my leg
going to the bathroom by myself
going out to eat and only feeding myself
going shopping and actually spending more than 10 minutes in one store
going shopping and having time to try the outfit on (rather than buy it, take it home to try on and then return it the next day)
only one seat belt to put on in the car
talking with friends without interruptions for as long as I want

the list could go on and on....
However, I do LOVE my kids more than anything in the world...we all just need a little break every once in awhile to rejuvenate. Here are some Sunday pics for you to enjoy:)


Comments

Sounds like a fun break! We saw wicked a couple of years ago and loved it too! So cool...
The Dillon 6 said…
what can I say ~ I've never cared for the "O" myself. ;)

I love the "BREAK" list...very true.

It sounded like the trip was a LOT of fun. I'm sorry I missed out on the fun. Catch me next time.
Unknown said…
So I didn't know you were going to Chicago - who did you go with?
I was (AM) a huge huge sex and the city fan (big surprise) so I would have been double as mad that I didn't get in.

you inspire me - I'm going to go away by myself for a break real soon!@
amy germer said…
That would have been so disappointing. I had a friend that tried to see Oprah once. She had almost the same outcome. I am going away for the first time by myself next week. I am so excited!

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day

One of the things I really wanted for Mother's Day this year was a picture of me with my children.OK, I really should have thought of something less stressful: "Come here Tucker" "There's a piece of candy on the chair" "Say, Thomas the train I love you" "Please come back..." "No more pictures for me" Thanks to Dave for his patience, we did get some decent shots. I must write for the record how grateful I am to be a mother. There is nothing on earth I would rather be doing right now. I honestly love them so much. Thank you NB, I just had to steal this from your blog: Somebody said it takes about six weeks to get back to normal after you’ve had a baby. That Somebody doesn’t know that once you’re a mother, “Normal,” is history. Somebody said you learn how to be a mother by instinct That Somebody never took a three-year-old shopping. Somebody said you don’t need an education to be a mother. That Somebody never helped a fourth

Child Rearing Race

My visiting brother from Utah and I were left without spouses for 4 days. This wouldn't have been such a big deal, but our kids had already been together 24/7 for 6 days and our boys couldn't think of anything better to do than fight. I don't know about you, but 1 entire day of fighting is enough to drive one mad--now times that by 4. Near the end of the week(and our rope) my brother and I had a heart to heart and posed the question~what in life could be more mentally difficult than this? The only thing I could think of (now remember, we'd just run the Ragnar) was running a marathon. Someone once told me that if you could mentally get through a marathon, you could get through anything. So, I put it to the test...I ran a... OK , not a marathon, but a 1/2. Raising children and running difficult races are so much the same. They both require so much of you emotionally, physically and mentally and yet the end reward is so gratifying. I can't express the joy I felt yester

Let's just call this paybacks

Dave got the heads up this morning that we were going to have a couple of "special" talks on reverence today as the Stake Presidency was a little concerned about how loud our sacrament meetings have become. I thought ~ great, let's prep the kids ~ I told them that they were to be on their best behavior, no snacks, no toys, no talking, you get the idea... The meeting went pretty smooth until the Bishop got up. He very tenderly started talking about how important it is that we teach our children about the sacrament...it was at that moment that my family fell a part. Eden and Luke started fighting and Liza and Tucker started screaming---did I mention we were on the second row? I grabbed Luke and put him in a body hold and motioned for Dave to get Tuck and Liza out. Dave left with Liza and Tuck (so I thought...) and next thing you know, Tucker is up on the stand running back and forth behind the Bishop. My sweet friend sitting next to me jumped up to get Tuck, but he of cours